Making the Mancala Game App - Try Number Two
So, about 3 weeks ago, I started writing it again in Python, a language that should work fine. I'm also doing somemthing unusual: I'm video recording my development and adding commentary as I go along. I'm placing these videos up on YouTube. Think of it as the ultimate expression of transparency :).
Would you like to follow along? Here is a link to the playlist:
Mancala Game App Development
As of Feb 22, 2017, I have six videos posted. More coming soon.
A bit of warning though: you are litterally watching a programmer write a program. It is a fair bit on the technical side.
I had written an AI to act as the opponent in the game. I got it to play a pretty decent game. And, on a full desktop Linux computer, it would make it's decision in less than 1/2 second at max level. Good.
But when I tried running it on a typical mobile device, it would take 10 to 30 seconds (depending on the device.) And worse, while the CPU was locked up busily "thinking", the app would freeze up. No indicators that one should merely wait or anything: a solid freeze.
Created Materials List
If you look in the Materials tab, you will see that I've listed all of the materials required to build the Mancala board. This includes pricing.
As you can see, my wholesale price of $22.50 isn't going to cut it ... 18% is not much margin. This is ...
Expanding the Tic Tac Toe Project
Okay, I was in the middle of the Carpenter step of the TicTacToe mobile app. I realized there was a lot I didn't think about in the Architect step. So, I did another Architect video talking about ideas with my friend Brad. I'll leave most of those details ...
Starting Tic Tac Toe Project
After some success with the Mancala Board project; I've decided to branch out and try something different: a Tic Tac Toe App.
Unlike the Mancala App, I'm going to be documenting it. All of it. From the first brainstorming stages, to the very last edit and upload to ...
Two Sold On The First Day!
Wow, that happened fast! Two of the three boards sold on the very first day we became visible. As soon as we get back home (sadly, that is Sunday) we will need to pack and ship more units to Amazon inventory. I think we will put in at least 9 ...
First Try At Amazon Promotion
In the last post I mentioned that our Mancala board is not visible in the search results when you search for "mancala." Simply put, we are invisible on Amazon.com.
I strongly suspect this has to do with their ranking algorithm sorting not just on content, but also on the ...
Followup On Amazon FBA
The first three units showed as available inventory the next day: Friday the 25th.
The three listings that were associated with it were not correct in some way that is, to be blunt, fairly
non-obvious. But, after much tweaking of settings and letting the changes trickle through the ...
First Units Arrived at Amazon FBA
After much packaging, labeling, and "arranging things," the first 3 units of the mancala board were shipped to Amazon for general sale on Monday. According to UPS package tracking, they just arrived at the Chester, VA warehouse (aka "RIC2," apparently). It will be intersting to see how long it takes ...
Changes and Pilot Run (video 4)
Meeting The Manufacturer (video 3)